previous next

[173] revolt which had broken out in Fort Jackson threatened to extend to St. Philip. The soldiers were already exchanging signals; and in spite of Duncan's efforts, the garrison of the first fort prepared to abandon it. All resistance had become impossible. The day following, the 28th, Duncan and Porter signed a capitulation, in which the latter was pleased to render homage to the bravery and loyalty of his adversary. But the parleys came near being interrupted by an act which was as brutal as it was unexpected. The Confederate captain Mitchell, who had been blamed by his comrades in the forts for his want of vigor in their defence, was independent of the military authorities, and did not consider himself as included in the capitulation. When Porter's flotilla drew near for the purpose of securing its consummation, Mitchell took care to leave no flag floating on the Louisiana, which was moored above St. Philip; but immediately after, taking advantage of the moment when all the Federal vessels were assembled at a short distance, he set fire to his own, and launched it upon them as a fire-ship. Fortunately, the Louisiana exploded too soon, just off Fort St. Philip, nearly killing its commander. The explosion was terrific; and if it had taken place a few minutes later, it would certainly have destroyed the Harriet Lane, on board of which Porter and Duncan had met to arrange the details of the convention.

While General Phelps occupied the forts, Butler, with the remainder of his troops, was proceeding toward New Orleans. The way was henceforth clear, and there was nothing left to prevent the victualling of the fleet. Forts Pike and Macomb, situated at the entrance of Lake Pontchartrain, had been abandoned, and the Confederate steamers which were on the lake were destroyed by their crews even before they had seen a single enemy. The last defences of New Orleans were therefore overthrown.

Accordingly, on the 29th, Farragut, who had hitherto prudently avoided everything which might bring on a collision with the population, sent at last a detachment of marines to hoist the Federal flag upon one of the public buildings. But these marines had scarcely retired when the flag, hauled down by a man named Munford, was dragged through the streets and trampled under foot. On the 1st of May the Federal transports reached the

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
David Porter (3)
Duncan (3)
Mitchell (2)
Phelps (1)
Munford (1)
Farragut (1)
Butler (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
May 1st (1)
29th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: