previous next

[488] of both parties descended to the bottom, where a brisk encounter took place. The Federals, however, being unskilfully handled, soon lost the advantage of the defensive position they occupied. In his anxiety, Colonel Moore left his soldiers, to go to the rear to bring up his two field-pieces, and during his absence his line fell back. It still rested upon the woods, and one of the guns opened fire upon the enemy's left, which had crossed the ravine. Morgan's artillery, however, was not slow in recovering the advantage. Moore was trying to take his soldiers to the rear to rally them on the summit of the hill, but unfortunately he thus caused them to abandon the sheltering positions which had protected them, and their retreat was rapidly changed into a rout. He had scarcely reached the open summit, which was already ploughed by the enemy's missiles, when he found himself surrounded by a panic-stricken crowd. He gave up all further attempts at resistance; and finding at last an officer, from whom he borrowed a handkerchief, he fixed it on a bayonet in token of capitulation. While he was thus surrendering, the One Hundred and Sixth Ohio, which had remained in the woods, continued the combat, but this handful of men, being soon surrounded on all sides, was obliged to surrender in its turn. After fighting an hour and a half, Morgan and his thirteen hundred men had in their hands two thousand prisoners, with their arms, two guns, their tents and provisions. The infantry that had participated in this success belonged to regiments which less than a year previous had capitulated at Fort Donelson, and the hope of effacing this sad remembrance had increased their ardor and doubled their strength. Morgan started off again without losing a moment's time. His troopers took behind them the most fatigued among their prisoners. The wounded, who numbered about one hundred and fifty on each side, were left at Hartsville, and the Confederates retired so rapidly as to escape from General Dumont, who had hastened from Gallatin with some troops at the first news of the fight. The next day the two thousand prisoners arrived safe at Murfreesborough, where they were released on parole.

At the same period, the pickets of both armies were continuing to feel each other south-east of Nashville, and the Federals, in

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)
hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
John Morgan (3)
Moore (2)
Dumont (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: