of the Board of Trade.1
Chap. XXXVIII} 1768. Oct.
their former grants of lands, and established as the western boundary of Virginia
, a straight line drawn from Chiswell's mine, on the Eastern Bank
of the Great Kanawha
, in a northerly course to the confluence of that river with the Ohio
To thwart the negotiation of Stuart
had appointed Thomas Walker
to the Congress
held at Fort Stanwix
with the Six Nations. Sir William Johnson
, who, as the Indian Agent
for the Northern District, had the management of the business, was thoroughly versed in the methods of making profit by his office.
of New Jersey
was present also, ready to assist in obtaining the largest cessions of lands, which might become the foundation for new provincial grants.
of Indians present was but little short of three thousand.
Every art was used to conciliate the chiefs of the Six Nations; and gifts were lavished on them with unusual generosity.
They, in turn, complied with the solicitations of the several agents.
The line that was established began at the North
, where Canada Creek
joins Wood Creek
on leaving New-York
, it passed from the nearest fork of the West Branch
of the Susquehannah
to Kittaning on the Alleghany
, whence it followed that river and the Ohio
At the mouth of the Kanawha
, it met the line