sand filled in between the rows.
On the eastern and
Chap. LXVI.} 1776. June 28.
northern sides the palmetto wall was only seven feet high, but it was surmounted by thick plank, so as to be tenable against a scaling party; a traverse of sand 28.
extended from east to west.
The southern and western curtains were finished with their platforms, on which cannon were mounted.
The standard which was advanced to the south-east bastion, displayed a flag of blue with a white crescent, on which was emblazoned liberty.
The whole number of cannon in the fort, the bastions, and the two cavaliers, was but thirty one, of which no more than twenty one could at the same time be brought into use; of ammunition there were but twenty eight rounds for twenty six cannon.
At Haddrell's Point across the bay Armstrong
had about fifteen hundred men. The first regular South Carolina regiment, under Christopher Gadsden, occupied Fort Johnson
, which stood on the most northerly part of James Island
, about three miles from Charleston
, and within point-blank shot of the channel.
was protected by more than two thousand men.
Half an hour after nine in the morning, the commodore gave signal to Clinton
that he should go on the attack.
An hour later the ships-of-war were under weigh.
, Cotesworth Pinckney
, and the rest at Fort Johnson
watched all their movements; in Charleston
the wharfs and water-side along the bay were crowded with troops under arms and lookers-on.
Their adversary must be foiled, or their city may perish; their houses be sacked and burned; and the savages on the frontier start from their lurking-places.
No grievous oppressions weighed down