1. hale, sound; illa h, in ill health ; hann sagði at þar var vel heilt, he said they were all well there; kona eigi heil, enceinte; gr�ða e-n at heilu, to heal one fully;
2. whole, healed, in respect of wounds or illness, with gen (verða h sára sinna) ; er um heilt bezt at binda, it is better to bind a hale than a hurt limb;
3. blessed, happy ; njótið heilir handa, ( bless your hands', well done ; kom heill! welcome, hail! far h,farewell!
4. whole, entire; h hleifr, a whole loaf; sjau hundruð heil, full seven hundred;
5. true, upright; ráða e-m heilt, to give one a wholesome (good) advice; af heilum hug, af heilu, sincerely; heilt ráð, wholesome advice; heil kenning, a useful, profitable lesson