Medford Historical Society.
Historical Society was incorporated under Massachusetts
laws, May 22, 1896.
The incorporators were Wm. Cushing Wait
, Will C. Eddy
, Lorin L. Dame
, Mrs. Louise G. DeLong
, Miss Helen T. Wild
, Miss Eliza M. Gill
, Miss Mary E. Sargent
, Allston P. Joyce
, and Charles H. Loomis
The objects of the Society are ‘to collect, preserve, and disseminate the local and general history
and the genealogy of Medford
families; to make antiquarian collections; to collect books of general history
, genealogy, and biography; and to prepare, or cause to be prepared, from time to time such papers and records relating to these subjects as maybe of general interest to the members.’
is one of the ‘ancient and honorable’ communities of the country.
Founded in 1630, its municipal life has been patriotic, dignified, and law-abiding, while the family history of many of its citizens is filled with facts and experiences relating to ‘ye early tymes,’ which have an irresistible charm for all those who ‘venerate the historic.’
It is a cause for regret that such a society had not been organized many years ago, as doubtless with the breaking up of old families year by year, much of antiquarian interest and value has been scattered, and presumably lost.
There are many individuals in the community personally interested in historical research, and a suggestion in the local paper, written by Mr. Will C. Eddy
, that a Historical Society be formed, found a quick and hearty response from many kindred spirits.
Preliminary meetings were held, and organization and incorporation were effected.
The charter list contained one hundred and thirty-two names.
The Society sprang at once into active and agressive life.
In October, 1896, it planned and carried to a successful issue a historic festival, happily named ‘On the Banks of the Mystic
,’ and which was conceded to be, as a whole, the finest entertainment ever presented to a Medford audience.
The financial results of the festival enabled the Society to rent and suitably furnish the quarters now occupied, a cut of which is shown on the cover of this register.
The house is itself an interesting landmark, having the distinction of a goodly age, and of being the birthplace of Lydia Maria
, in 1802.
A large representation of the Society
's seal on a wooden tablet designates the building as the headquarters of the Medford