[p. 41] Ells
, and Milton James
were the committee appointed and they reported in print
The bill for printing this report has been found, but not the report itself, yet we still hope that some attic will be found that will put us in possession of one of the most important documents in the educational history of the town.
Thus, then, was our modern system of schools established, with one central high school, two grammar, with male teachers, and primary schools tributary to these.
After one year of trial the new system seems to have met the approval of the school committee.
At the March meeting, 1836, their report, a copy of which is on file at City Hall, was read but not printed.
This is the first report on record of a Medford school committee.
The report is given in full in the ‘Historical Register
’ for October, 1899.
Since then the system has expanded by the addition of two more grammar schools, one in the west, the other in the south part of the town, and by the multiplication of primary schools; but the general plan adopted in 1835 remains essentially the same to the present time.