and spent a year in a voyage around the world.
His theological studies were pursued at the General Theological Seminary, New York City, from which he graduated in 1865.
Ordained the same year both deacon and priest; became assistant minister at the Church
of the Holy Communion
, New York, in 1865; rector of St. John
, from 1865 to 1869; assistant minister
at St. Paul's Cathedral, Buffalo, New York
, 1869 to 1872. Mr. Hutchins
married Mary Groom, daughter of Thomas Groom, of Boston
For many years he has been interested in musical work and in 1871 edited the Church
Hymnal, and later established a musical called the Parish Choir
, which, at one time, was the only weekly publication in the world devoted to church music.
In 1871 Mr. Hutchins
was elected third assistant secretary
of the General Convention of the Episcopal Church of the United States
, and in 1877 was made secretary, which office he still holds (1901).
In 1873 a commodious rectory, situated on the northerly side of High Street, a short distance from the church, was built by Dudley C. Hall
, and by him presented to the parish for the use of the rector.
‘The church building’ (to quote again from Mr. Usher
), ‘which since its completion had remained in the ownership of the family who had generously erected it, and consequently, in accordance with the canonical law of the church, could not be consecrated, was given to the parish by Mr. Peter C. Brooks
and Mr. Shepherd Brooks
, and received consecration at the hands of the Right Rev. Henry A. Neely
, on the sixth of May, 1873.
The services of consecration were of the most impressive character, and were attended by a very large congregation, as well as by a larger number of clergymen than had been gathered together at a similar service in the history of the diocese.
The sermon was preached by the Rev. Dr. Alexander H. Vinton
, and several of the former rectors of the parish participated ’