in the services.
In presenting these gifts of church and rectory to the parish, the donors placed them in the hands of the ‘Trustees of Donations’ (a corporation formed for the purpose of holding and preserving ecclesiastical property for the Episcopal Church), thus preventing the possibility of alienation and loss.’
In September, 1873, was raised to the ringing-chamber of the tower a chime of nine bells attuned to the scale of G, with tenor of 1,383 lbs., cast by the Blake Bros
Co., successors of Paul Revere
The tenor or largest bell was provided by and is still owned by the town, being designed for service as a fire-bell, though never used for that purpose.
Five of these bells are memorial.
The following is the weight of the respective bells with names of the donors:—
|G,||Treble,||192 lbs.||—Children of Margaret B. Buss.|
|F,||2,||217 lbs.||—Joseph K. Manning.|
|F#,||3,||296 lbs.||—Children's bell.|
|E,||4,||371 lbs.||—Mrs. Gorham Brooks and family.|
|D,||5,||425 lbs.||—Mrs. Dudley C. Hall.|
|G,||6,||637 lbs.||—Grace Church, Medford.|
|B,||7,||725 lbs.||—Dudley C. Hall.|
|A,||8,||988 lbs.||—Grace Church, Medford.|
|G,||Tenor,||1,383 lbs.||—Town of Medford.|
In addition to the date of casting, each bell has an inscription of an appropriate quotation from the scriptures.
The contract price of the chime was $2,600, of which the town paid $600, and there was beside an additional expense of $100 connected with the work of raising.
On the eleventh of June, 1882, the corner stone of a Parish House was laid.
This building, which is of stone, was completed and used for the first time on the twenty-second of October.
It contains a chapel for Sunday-school and week day services, choir library and vestry room, and on the floor below a room which was for a time used for a day school but has recently been rearranged to serve as a room for social gatherings.