months in this beautiful town, he was elected dean of Christ Church Cathedral, New Orleans, La.
, and began his work there in February, 1894.
He filled this position for the next four years, and in April, 1898, was called to the rectorship of Grace Church, Medford
The fiftieth anniversary of Grace Church was suitably observed on Sunday, May 7, 1898.
The historical address was delivered by the new rector and was exceedingly interesting.
The musical program was prepared under the direction of Geo. L. Willis
, choir master, who had just completed seventeen years of active work in connection with the choir.
Miss Elizabeth R. Robely
was organist, she having served in that capacity since April, 1888.
In the evening a reception was given to the parish by the wardens and vestry.
The invitation included all past and present members and others interested in the church, and the occasion was one of especial interest.
Grace Church, Medford
, is the creation of that transcendent artist, Henry Hobson Richardson
, architect of Trinity Church, Boston
; Grace Church, Springfield
; the Capitol
, and Woburn Public Library.
It is situated on High street, nearly opposite the site of the First, or Unitarian, Church and occupies one-third of the old Timothy Bigelow
property, consisting of about fifty thousand square feet.
The other two-thirds are owned by James W. Tufts
The style of the church is Gothic, with a sharply sloping roof, acutely pointed windows and a tower ninety feet in height, surmounted by an iron cross.
The material is the cobble stone or boulder of the field, with trimmings of hewn granite.
The external roof is of slate, with metal cresting.
The interior finish is of open timber work, colored brown.
The nave and aisles under one span of roof are seventy-one feet long by thirty-five feet wide, with a chancel twenty-eight feet long by nineteen feet wide.
The apse of the chancel is pierced by fifteen lancet windows, each