music of an organ presided over by Miss Mary E. King
in a gallery over the entrance door.
Removing to the stone church, the choir and organ were placed in the alcove under the tower, where they continued until July 18, 1875, when a new organ, built by Hook & Hastings
, was set up in the south side of the chancel, and the personnel of the choir was changed to a chorus of boys and girls; subsequently the girls were dropped from the choir, and on the twenty-second of October, 1882, the boys were surpliced for the first time and occupied seats in the chancel.
Two years ago four girls were introduced into the choir, surpliced like the rest, with the addition of a black cap.
The alcove under the tower was, on the removal of the choir, converted into a baptistry, in which was placed a new font, the gift of the rector, the Rev. Charles L. Hutchins
, and bearing on one of its sides, ‘In memory of Margaret Gordon Hutchins
, at rest, August 22, 1876.’
‘The font stands on a slab of Kibbe
Its base is of Tennessee
From the base rise five shafts; the central one is of Medford
granite, taken out of Pasture Hill
The four shafts which cluster round the larger centre shaft are of French red marble.
These shafts are surmounted by capitals showing in delicate sculptured work wreaths of lilies of the valley.
The octagonal bowl is of Knoxville
On four of its sides angels' heads are sculptured, while on the remaining sides the words, “One Lord
, one Faith, one baptism,” with the inscription before mentioned.’
There are in the church other memorials beside the chancel windows already referred to.
A beautiful tablet in the chancel to the memory of Miss Mary E. King
, erected in 1878.
It consists of a slab of pure black marble into which is sunk a large brass plate.
The plate is beautifully engraved and contains unique and appropriate representations of St. Cecelia in a kneeling posture and devotionally engaged in playing a primitive organ.
Beneath the figure and