Rise, crown'd with light, imperial Salem, rise!
Exalt thy towering head and lift thine eyes!
See heaven its sparkling portals wide display,
And break upon thee in a flood of day.
See a long race thy spacious courts adorn,
See future sons, and daughters yet unborn,
In crowding ranks on every side arise,
Demanding life, impatient for the skies.
See barbarous nations at thy gates attend,
Walk in thy light, and in thy temple bend;
See thy bright altars thronged with prostrate kings
While every land its joyous tribute brings.
From earth's wide bound, from ocean's farthest coast,
Through gates of pearl streams in the countless host,
Singing to Father, Son, and Holy Ghost,
Grace Church Sunday-school, though small as compared with some Sunday-schools, has been an important auxiliary of the church.
The first superintendent at the formation of the school in 855 was Frederick Z. Seymour
; he was succeeded by Mr. Gardiner P. Gates
, who took charge of the school in January, 1861.
There were then eight teachers and forty-six scholars.
In 1877 the school had eleven teachers and seventy five scholars, with an average attendance of sixty.
At that time medals were awarded for good behavior, regular attendance and perfect lessons, and at the Whitsunday festival fourteen scholars received medals furnished by the rector, and two of the boys in the choir were also decorated with medals furnished by the parish.
A banner was given to the leading class and was carried at the head of the school in the processionals.
At Whitsunday, 1878, the superintendent's report read as follows: School commenced May 27, 1877, continued to June 24, inclusive; resumed September 9, continued up to June 2, inclusive, forty-three Sundays.
Whole number that have been in the Sunday-school duringthe year,