Henry W. Usher
was the first captain of the reorganized company.
He served about a year.
He was succeeded by Asa Law, who commanded until he was appointed colonel.
Capt. Samuel C. Lawrence
was commissioned in 1856, and served until his promotion to rank of Major
For several years thereafter he retained an active interest in the Light Guard, holding the office of treasurer.
Captain John Hutchins
was commissioned in 1859.
Some of the Winchester
men retained their membership in the company after it was transferred to Medford
, and the first parade after the reorganization extended through both towns.
A brass band was in attendance, and as the musicians had practiced together only long enough to learn two tunes, the music was acceptable but monotonous.
The May training, fall parade and annual muster were the chief military events of the year.
The muster was more like a county fair than like the modern tour of duty.
The militia was brigaded sometimes in one place and sometimes in another until the establishment of the State
camp ground at South Framingham
It is recorded that on April 2, 1855, an article in the warrant for town meeting was considered relative to an appropriation for fitting up an armory for the Light Guard.
It was laid on the table where it still reposes.
In the selectmen's records we find that the armory rent was paid and accounts rendered to the Adjutant General
The annual rent in 1855 was one hundred and fifty dollars. It was reduced to one hundred in 1858.
All expenses beside rent had to be met by the company, and for that purpose assemblies were held in the town hall.
The music consisted of a very few pieces, and, to save expense, the captain and first lieutenant attended the door, turn and turn about, rather than pay for a regular ticket taker.
The boys were their own carpenters, and fitted up their armory with their own hands.
At the time of Capt. Hutchins
' election in July, 1859, the Light Guard was in a very prosperous condition.