At the next muster the company appeared on the field with over fifty muskets, and received from Mr. Daniel Lawrence
a prize of fifty dollars for so doing.
September 15, 1860, the fire which destroyed the First Trinitarian Church building seriously damaged the armory and the property of the company.
Insurance made good the financial loss, and the company set about putting up new gun-racks and refurnishing, but the rooms were hardly in order when they were again visited by fire, December 15, 1860, when the armory building, ‘American Hall,’ where Small
's brick block now stands, was totally destroyed.
The company lost most of its property by this fire, and as there was no insurance, a popular subscription was started in its behalf.
The town hall became the armory.
The company for some time had been agitating the question of buying new uniforms, and at this time an order was sent to a first class Boston
tailor to make the suits from cloth which had been manufactured for this special purpose at one of the mills at Lowell
The men immediately began to pay for them on the instalment plan, by depositing fifty cents a week each with the company treasurer.
Meanwhile they drilled in their old regimentals and fatigue caps, and as there were not uniforms enough for all, some wore the caps and citizens' clothes.
In the fall of 1860, the political sky was so darkened that there was increased activity in all military organizations.
The Light Guard drilled twice a week.
In February, 1861, the company was called upon to answer the question whether or not it was ready to respond to a call for troops at a minute's notice.
At roll call thirty-eight men answered ‘yes’ and three answered ‘no.’
sent his assent in writing.
There were fourteen absentees who were speedily interviewed.
Some who had enlisted the previous summer for the especial enjoyment of muster had hardly considered themselves regular members of the company, but being