volley was fired, and the body placed in a hastily made grave.
A small wooden slab was put up to mark the spot.
Then the column moved on toward the river.
Day after day the two armies hurried forward in a parallel course toward Richmond
, with constant skirmishing until both went into winter quarters.
During this campaign many changes were made in the personnel of the Light Guard.
Among them, James A. Hervey
was detailed to the Quartermaster's Department, Albert A. Samson
was discharged to become second lieutenant in the 10th U. S. Colored Regiment, in which he was promoted to rank of captain the next year.
Lieut. Perry Colman
was discharged for disability, and Lieut. Hosea
was transferred to Co. E.
At the battle of Mine Run
, November 28, 1863, Companies C and E were deployed as skirmishers.
Benj. H. Dow
December 2 the corps crossed the Rapidan
, the 39th being the last to go over.
On this march, Charles Coolidge
and Henry Currell
, being unable to keep up with the column, were captured and died in Libby Prison. December 24, after bivouacing by day and marching by night, the regiment reached the extreme outpost of the army, picketing the northern bank of the Rapidan
Winter quarters were laid out with company streets twenty-five feet wide, with corduroyed sidewalks four feet wide.
The cabins were of logs seven by fifteen feet, outside measurement.
There was a door in each in the centre of the long side with fireplace opposite.
The pitch roof was made of four pieces of shelter tent.
January 1, 1864, Captain Hutchins
was absent and sick, and Lieut. Hanson
was in command.
He had been transferred from the Danvers company and commissioned November, 1863. One sergeant, two corporals and sixteen privates were sick and absent.
died in the hospital about this time.
The company was so busy, says the History of Medford