of weeping for dear ones who had gone away with the company, but whose places were vacant now, who slept on Southern battlefields or who had died in foul prison pens.
Many in the ranks were but shadows of their former selves, some had been left behind in the hospitals, others had come home to die. The first duty of the Light Guard was to bring home the dead.
The bodies of Samuel W. Joyce
, George Henry Champlin
and George H. Lewis
were sent home through the personal supervision of Capt. Hutchins
, who was called South
to testify in the trial of the commander of Salisbury Prison.
(To be concluded in January number.)
The ‘town House.’
HE lot now occupied by City Hall was bought of the heirs of Samuel Buel
, May 22, 1833.
The cost was $3,000. The committee in charge of negotiations were Isaac Sprague
, Daniel Lawrence
and Elisha Stetson
The town voted to build the Town House
of wood at an estimated cost of $3,600. In 1834 the above committee was discharged and John P. Clisby
, John Sparrell
and Thomas R. Peck
were appointed, with instructions to ‘observe generally the outlines of the plan, which was drawn by Mr. Benjamin
, as regards the general exterior appearance of the building.’
The structure was damaged by fire October 27, 1839. John P. Clisby
, Lewis Richardson
, Samuel Lapham
, Galen James
and Darius Waitt
were the committee to repair.
At this time the brick wall on the south side was built.
In 1850 it was again burned.
George T. Goodwin
, Daniel Lawrence
and Charles S. Jacobs
were chosen a committee to repair the building.
It was proposed to build a belfry at this time, but the town voted in the negative.
Slate roof and copper gutters were the extent of outside improvements.
Except in a few minor details, the exterior of the building has never been changed.—Compiled from Town Records