Medford square, 1835 to 1850.1
HE present City Hall has been built about three score and ten years. In 1839 an addition was made on the south end. The hall floor had about four rows of slips or pews with high backs, and rising one above the other, leaving about one third of the floor open in the centre.
The desk was at the south end and a gallery was opposite it, over the entrance.
There were two rooms on the north side, on the second floor; one of them occupied by George Hervey
, tailor, as a work room.
The selectmen's room was in the lower northwest corner.
's tailor shop was in the northeast corner.
's dry goods store occupied a large room having two entrances on Main street. Oliver Blake
's dry goods store and Mr. Randall
's book store were in the south end of the building.
The Town Hall
was the scene of school examinations, which were great events to the children.
Across the square on High street the Seccomb house2
was occupied by Joseph Wyman
, stage driver and proprietor of a livery stable.
Dr. C. V. Bemis
boarded in this house when he came to Medford
His office was in the ‘Ebenezer Hall’ house on Main street, and later in the Seccomb house
. H. N. Peak
, William Peak and Otis Waterman
were later tenants.
The next house east was owned by Joseph Patten Hall.
The front was as it now stands except that there was a basement, and the first floor was approached by a long flight of steps.
The back part of the house was very old and had its entrance on an alley.
The outline of it can be seen on the north wall of the present building.
The dwelling was occupied by Mr. Hall
and his three sisters.
Mr. John Howe
, grocer, occupied the store on the ground floor.
Later Mr. Samuel Green
, who married one of the Misses Hall
, occupied it for a