This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
[p. 92] clothing and dry goods store. He was the father of Samuel S. Green, the veteran street railway man. The next house easterly belonged to Turell Tufts.1 He was a bachelor. Miss Mary Wier was his housekeeper for years. The town is indebted to him for the shade trees on Forest street. On the opposite corner of Forest street were Timothy Cotting's house and bakery. There was a driveway around the house from Forest to Salem street. The entrance to the house was on Salem street. The bakery, having an entrance on Forest street, was connected with the dwelling. Where ‘Cotting Block’2 stands was a low tenement house called ‘Rotten Row.’ It was occupied by the families of Joseph Gleason, Timothy Brigden, Stilman Derby and the widow of Henry Withington, Sr. On the site of the Mystic Church was a large house in which lived Wm. S. Barker, grocer; the house was removed to Salem street, opposite the common, and is now owned by heirs of S. Derby. The Withington Bakery as it stands today was bought by Henry Withington, Jr., who moved into the house in the spring of 1829. He lived just previously in the ‘Kidder House,’ directly opposite. This house has been removed, and now is numbered 63 Salem street. He carried on the baking business until his death and was succeeded by his son. The history of the house occupied by the Medford Historical Society was given in the July number of this volume of the Register. At the junction of Salem and Ship streets the present brick house had for its tenants in the thirties Mr. Parsons, a ship carpenter (whose daughter married Alfred Eels), Dr. Samuel Gregg and Wm. Peak, who lived on Salem street. J. V. Fletcher, butcher, occupied the northerly corner store, and Gilbert Blanchard, grocer, the southerly one.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.