nearly all the comrades who died in the war were placed in the armory.
At the dedication of the Soldiers' Monument, September 6, 1866, the company paraded in uniform with side arms.
The granite shaft bears on its marble tablets the names of all the Medford
men who perished in the war.
May 30, 1868, the first Memorial Day, the Light Guard visited the graves of departed comrades in Medford
and in the Catholic Cemetery
The old colors were draped and carried by Pyam Cushing, Jr.
, one of the company of 1861.
Every year since then, except in 1898, when the command was on duty at Gloucester
, the Light Guard has taken part in the memorial exercises.
In 1871, an out-door prize drill was held.
The first and second prizes were donated by the officers of the company, the rest by fine members.
This is the first prize drill recorded.
After the formation of Post 66, Grand Army of the Republic, the veterans in the company began to drop out as active members.
resigned January 30, 1874.
Steps were immediately taken toward consolidation with the Lawrence Rifles
The conference committee agreed that the new company should be called Co. E, 5th Regt., M. V. M., and should bear the name Lawrence
Light Guard, but that the captain and 1st lieutenant of the Rifles, Warren W. Manning
and Fred. W. Dorr
, should head the new organization.
Lieut. Jophanus H. Whitney
, of the Light Guard, was made 2d lieutenant.
The consolidated company was organized May 5, 1874. Lieut. Dorr
resigned the following September, and J. H. Whitney
and Charles M. Green
were commissioned 1st and 2d lieutenants.
resigned in 1876, and J. H. Whitney
Rifle practice was inaugurated during his term of service.
Through a combination of circumstances, the interest in the State
militia began to wane about 1880, and the Light Guard suffered with the whole.
In 1881, it is recorded under the date of September 6, the celebrated