bring the company back to its former rank, and was rewarded by a letter of commendation from Col. Bancroft
March 30, 1890, the first prize drill for the Lawrence
medals was held.
During the next year the company was much changed, many being discharged for non-attendance, and their places filled by men interested in the work.
Some of them were former members of the High School Cadets, who had been under the personal tuition of Maj. Whitney
, and others members of the Sons of Veterans.
In January, 1897, new regulations were promulgated regarding target practice, by which members of the militia were obliged to qualify as marksmen or be discharged.
These rules had a tendency to stimulate the attendance and interest in the Light Guard, which Capt. Henderson
and Capt. Wescott
, his successor, worked hard to bring about.
The Light Guard attended the inauguration of President McKinley
In this peaceful advance to the capital, thirty-six years after the gray-coated ‘minute men’ started for Washington
, the uniform of the company consisted of dark-blue coat with light-blue trimmings, black helmet with spike and eagle on point, light-blue trousers, and woven cartridge belt with brass plate.
The men were armed with the latest pattern of Springfield rifles—voted of no particular value a year later.
The Army and Navy journal
was represented by three of the finest looking companies in the parade—Co. E, 5th Regiment, Co. C, 6th Regiment, and the Ambulance Corps.’
December 9, 1897, Capt. James C. D. Clark
was elected captain.
The company was in good condition, many of its members being former officers of the High School Cadets.
In less than two months after Capt. Clark
's commission, a war cloud overhung the sky, and orders were given for each man to provide himself with clothing and equipments ready for instant duty, should war be declared.