previous next

[p. 17] About 1845, the Messrs. James sold their property here and removed their business to the Branch Canal, near Swan street.

Parallel with Main street was an inclined way leading from the lumber yard to the river at the bridge, which was used as a boat landing and for hauling timber from the river. Some of the very earliest deeds refer to this landing, which was public property before that part of Medford south of Mystic river was set off from the town of Charlestown.

Mr. James B. Gregg bought the property formerly occupied by the lumber yard, and removed the ‘Ebenezer Hall’ house, which stood on the site of the Boston & Maine Railroad Station, to the northerly part of the yard, and lived in part of it himself, renting the remainder. Another house was removed from the lot just south of the town house to the rear of the Hall house, and let for tenements. The old lime storehouse was occupied by the Odd Fellows in the upper part, and the second story contained Henry Mitchell's barber shop. Mr. Gregg occupied the lower floor for his grocery and grain business.

Another large building was used as a livery stable on the lower floor, and Moses Merrill and Edward Copp, house and carriage painters, had a shop above. To enable Mr. Gregg to reach his store from Main street, a bridge was built over the old runway to the river.

It was in Gregg's stable that the great fire of 1850 began. When Mr. Gregg took possession of the northern half of James' yard, Mr. Benjamin Moore moved his blacksmith shop from the other side of the street to the southerly part of the yard, and his family moved from Union street to the Joseph James house.

Mr. Moore, in company with John Fall, a shipsmith, and J. T. Barker, a teamster, took the teaming business of Mr. Gregg after his death. The latter was killed by being caught between two cars while unloading freight at the Boston & Lowell Railroad at West Medford.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Sort places alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a place to search for it in this document.
Mystick River (Massachusetts, United States) (1)
hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
James B. Gregg (6)
Benjamin Moore (2)
Joseph James (2)
Henry Mitchell (1)
Moses Merrill (1)
Edward Copp (1)
J. T. Barker (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
1850 AD (1)
1845 AD (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: