In the summer of 1876 he was appointed to the Medford
High School, and from that time his life was lived peacefully but forcefully in our midst, and grew to be such a part of us that it seemed as if he had always belonged to us. The vacation of 1880 was spent in a walking tour through England
in company with his friend, Mr. George S. Hatch
He labored to the very end in the interests of this community, and to him in the full vigor of life, with unabated mental power, death came suddenly on January 27, 1903.
Arising in the morning to prepare for his daily school work, he seemed in usual health, but before he had made himself ready for breakfast, he complained of vertigo and was persuaded to lie down for a short time.
The usual symptoms of apoplexy appeared, and before long he became unconscious, and at 5.30 P. M. the end came, his wife and three of his four daughters being with him at the time.
He was a devoted member of the First Parish (Unitarian) Church, and gave largely of his sympathy and interest to the advancement of liberal Christianity.
He served the parish as a member of the parish committee, and was one of the founders of the Unitarian Club
connected with the church, serving for two years as its president.
His work as teacher is well known to such a large body of the citizens of Medford
that any comment can only chronicle matters with which all are perfectly familiar.
He possessed remarkable powers as an instructor, training his pupils to habits of careful observation, exactness of thought, and logical deduction.
He expected scholars to draw their own conclusions, and, having formed them, to be ready to stand by and defend them.
He was specially skilful in making independent thinkers and actors, not only by his specific training, but by example.
In the words of President Capen
: ‘He was an example to his pupils; he lived before them day by day a simple, honest, manly, pure, and upright life.
In this way he was a constant and never-failing inspiration.’