The Town Hall
was now found to be inadequate to the needs of this infant church.
In the spring of 1842, a society called ‘The First Baptist Society of Medford
’ was legally incorporated, and a building lot
secured on Salem street, where a meeting-house was erected the following summer, and dedicated to divine worship on the seventeenth of September, 1842.
In the archives of the society mention is made of the kindness and generosity of Dudley Hall, in the matter of the land, for which much gratitude is expressed.
The letter to the association, September, 1845, is a paeon of victory, and reports a membership of eighty-seven, a united church, and a happy people, whose fondest hopes and most ardent wishes have been realized.
Rev. Mr. Bosworth
labored faithfully here for five years. His home was on the corner of Chestnut and Ashland streets.
The house was subsequently removed to Chestnut street, where it now stands.
The young pastor's unusual abilities were coveted by a larger church, and he relinquished this field, although he never lost his interest in the people of his first choice.
He was succeeded by Rev. B. C. Grafton
, who served the church for only about nine months. Rev. G. C. Danforth
was settled in August, 1847, and remained a little more than a year.
In February, 1849, the church requested Rev. Edward K. Fuller
to become its pastor.
During his pastorate, which lasted until April, 1854, there was a gain of fortyone, with a membership of one hundred and twenty.
Rev. Thomas E. Keely
succeeded Rev. Mr. Fuller
, and began his work in October, 1854.
During the years since the formation of the church, there had been much of sunshine and joy for this faithful band.
Now, however, financial and other problems became embarrassing, and it seemed best to offer to any member, who desired it, a letter of dismission to any other Baptist church.
Those who remained assumed the name of the Central
Baptist Church, Medford
Rev. T. E. Keely
was installed September 9, 1856, and the