who was a member of the church and a young man of much promise, gave up his life at the battle of White Hall, N. C.
, December 18, 1862.
Rev. Mr. Preston
's ten years of loving ministrations, patient service and generous self-sacrifice are still remembered, and today he is the dearly loved and highly honored resident ex-pastor of the flock.
In November, 1868, the Rev. J. C. Hurd
of New Brunswick
, came to the church.
He was a brilliant orator and a highly-esteemed preacher.
He resigned in May, 1870.
The church was without a pastor until the next May, when in 1871, the Rev. J. G. Richardson
of Providence, R. I.
He was a man of wisdom and marked ability, who, with patience, energy, and enthusiasm led the way to the erection of a new house of worship.
A lot was purchased on Oakland street, plans were made, and the work of building was commenced.
The architect and builder was chosen from the ranks of the church.
To John Brown
, who had joined the church by baptism in May, 1843, who had faithfully stood by in all vicissitudes, and who was known also to his townsmen as a master-workman, one needing not to be ashamed, was the work committed.
The corner-stone was laid with appropriate ceremonies on the afternoon of September 2, 1872; and on June 29, 1873, the lower part of the house being completed and comfortably furnished, the lecture-room was occupied.
The old house, which had been used for thirty-one years, was sold.
Rev. Mr. Richardson
after six years of faithful and unremitting toil, resigned his charge in May, 1877, and was succeeded, in December of the same year, by James Percival Abbott
, now Rev. Dr. Abbott
of Oshkosh, Wis.
Rev. Mr. Abbott
brought to his new field the vigor of a fresh enthusiam.
Just graduated from Newton Theological Institution, young, ardent, hopeful, kind of heart, and fervent of spirit, he won his way, beloved of all. His ordination and installation took place in the lecture-room