of the church, December 19, 1877.
The sermon was preached by Rev. Geo. B. Gow
, of Millbury
, Mr. Abbott
's first Baptist
pastor; the ordination prayer was by Rev. Dr. Hovey
, president of Newton
; the right hand of fellowship was given by Rev. S. W. Foljambe
, then of Maiden; the charge to the candidate by Rev.
) Henry C. Graves
, then of Fall River
; the charge to the church by Dr. Lorimer
, then pastor of Tremont Temple, and prayer by Dr. Sawtelle
, then of Chelsea
There was also a hymn, written for the occasion by one of the members of the church.
Rev. Mr. Abbott
's pastorate, so gracefully begun, continued with great success.
The church increased in numbers, and on July 10, 1878, the completed church edifice was dedicated to the worship of God, amid general rejoicing.
The sermon was preached by Rev. Dr. Bosworth
, the first pastor of the church.
The total cost of the church property was a little more than thirty-five thousand dollars. Pastor and people had toiled faithfully, yet a considerable debt lay, like an incubus, upon the church.
On April 13, 1880, this debt of over ten thousand dollars was liquidated in the presence of many former pastors and friends, as well as of the church and congregation.
On Sunday, October, 19, 1890, the Bible
school celebrated its fiftieth anniversary, and, the next year, on September 6 and 7, the church commemorated its half century's existence.
At the Sunday morning service, September 6, Rev. G. M. Preston
read the Scriptures, and the pastor, Rev. J. P. Abbott
, delivered the Historical Address
—a valuable and interesting paper.
A hymn was contributed by Henry S. Washburn
In the evening there was a special service of song, including a hymn written for the occasion by one of the members of the church.
Rev. Dr. Howe
, with his crown of eighty-five years, Rev. James L. Hill, D. D.
, pastor of the Mystic Church
, Rev. L. D. Bragg
, of the Medford
Methodist Episcopal Church, occupied the platform.