Robert L. Ells
Thomas P. Smith
James M. Sanford
Charles A. Elliott
Charles L. Callender
Alonzo E. Tainter
George M. Ritchie
William H. Breed
Thomas R. Clough
Charles A. Newcomb
Edwin E. Stevens
Arthur E. Fitch
Henry A. Cobb
In the early history of the Bible
School it is recorded that on the morning of the first Sunday of April, 1853, in the home of the superintendent, Mr. Thomas P. Smith
, there lay in the cold embrace of death the little son, a beautiful boy of seven years—the family circle broken for the first time.
When the morning of the first Sunday of the next April (1854) dawned, the father reposed on the same couch, touched by the same icy fingers, and the Bible
School mourned the loss of its gifted superintendent.
In the years that have intervened between the far-away time of 1840-41, and the present year of grace, 1903, many bright and beautiful lives have passed out from this church, and many more have been added, so that the roll-call of today numbers three hundred and twenty.
In all about one thousand names have been placed upon the list.
The number in the Bible
School today, teachers, officers, and scholars is three hunded and ten.
If a list of the honored dead from this church were to be presented, it would include, besides those we have mentioned, many well-known and highly-esteemed in Medford
and in the regions beyond.
Brightly shine the names of Smith
—these in the early, many more in the later history of the church.
Of those who joined the church previous to 1850, only two are living today: Miss Elizabeth Healy
, who joined the church by baptism in 1842, and who has lived for the