Main street, 1835-1850.
(Reminiscences continued from Vol.
VI., Page 20.)
HE Medford house has the same general appearance today as years ago. It formerly had a fine hall which was used for dancing parties and public entertainments.
A town meeting was held there in 1839.
The large elm tree, with the pump under it, that stood in front of the stable, and the ten-pin alley have disappeared.
The space between the house and the street was paved with cobblestones, and when the Lowell
, or Medford
coach reined up to the door, the neighborhood was aware of it.
It was a busy place in a busy town, and well patronized by the citizens and travelling public.
The best-known and most popular landlords were James Bride and Augustus Baker
Directly opposite the hotel, on the site of the present police station, was the home of Nathan Wait, blacksmith.
His buildings extended on Short street (Swan) to Union street, and his premises, on Union and Main street to the Sparrell estate.
The three dwelling houses next south of the police station, and others in the rear, are on land which was Mr. Wait
's shop was near Cradock bridge; he carried on business there for fifty years. Brooks
' history accords him the honor of being the first to rescue a fugitive slave in the United States
He died in Medford
, January 5, 1840.
, who married Nathan Wait's daughter, built, lived and died in the third house from the police station.
It was the first dwelling built in Mr. Wait
, ship builder, surveyor of land, wood and lumber, and general business man, owned the next lot. His house is still in the possession of his family, and is known as No. 104 Main street. Captain Sparrell
died March 29, 1876.
Next south stands the house which in 1835 was the