previous next
[p. 15]

With strengthened faith in the permanence of the canal, the company built during 1830 a new aqueduct across the Aberjona, then in Medford. The old wooden structure, one hundred and eighty feet long, that had been repeatedly repaired, was so narrow as to allow no boats to pass each other in its limits, often causing delay. The substantial manner in which it was built deserves more than a casual notice. Eight parallel walls, one hundred leet long, six feet high, and four feet thick, were built upon timber floors, or rafts, and sunk into the water, thus forming seven channels, each about seven feet wide, through which the river flowed. On the top of these walls, which rose three feet above the stream, were laid granite blocks eighteen inches thick, these forming a bridge one hundred feet wide and eighty feet long. Across this were built two parallel walls, six feet high and four feet thick, and the space between filled eight inches deep with clay, forming a watertight bottom. Embankments of earth, solidly puddled, were then built on each side and over these walls, and the waters of the canal passed over the river in a channel as secure as that cut in the natural ground; in fact, more securely than in many places along its course. It was with an evident feeling of pride that Mr. Eddy in his next report stated that the work was completed at a cost within the estimate, and that no great amount of repairs would be needed for a hundred years. To construct it required 31,000 cubic feet of granite, 25,000 cubic feet of earth, 2,700 cubic feet of clay, and timber enough to load two railway cars of today. Solid and substantial, the agent and owners expected it to outlive them and the century. Alas, for human calculation! In the early sixties it was demolished, and part now forms the cellar walls of the Brooks' residence near Oak Grove Cemetery, while the rest lies in the field near by, covered with the accumulated moss of more than forty years.

Some fifty bridges spanned the canal, part of which were for the highways; the rest were to connect private property divided by the canal. They were built with

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Caleb Eddy (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
1830 AD (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: