[p. 24] Fulton street. This is one of the oldest, if not the oldest of all Medford roads. It was the cartway from the carrying place at the river, near Cross street to the ‘Charlestown Wood Lots,’ now Middlesex Fells; the course from Salem street to the river is not positively known. In 1836, after the death of Mrs. Sarah Fulton,1 who lived for nearly forty years on a lonely farm at the top of Kidders' hill, above the present Fellsway West, the street was renamed in her honor. The house where Benjamin Tufts lived, on the northeast corner of Fulton and Salem streets, is standing  and within a comparatively few years was occupied by his family. The burying ground on Cross street, ‘new’ in 1829, has within its crowded boundaries the dust of many of the ship building mechanics who were laid to rest within hearing of the
Sound of hammers, blow on blowFurness' corner is now officially named Winthrop square. The Furness homestead was the old home of Parson Turell, and after the Furness family left, it was owned and occupied by Jonathan Porter. It was torn down some years ago. ‘Purchase street,’ we regret to say, has been changed to Winthrop street. The highway was laid out after the land had been bought for the purpose. The money it cost was well spent, as it shortened the distance to Woburn and avoided the toilsome climb up Simonds' hill. The name Purchase street commemorated the investment. Grove street still keeps its old name. The bridge which then spanned the waters of the Middlesex Canal, now stands in the green meadow on the Brooks' estate, near by, a graceful and substantial monument to a vanished industry. [To be continued.]
Knocking away the shores and spurs.