[p. 53] The land and meadow in the improvement of Mr. Nathaniel Wade,It is evident from the above that Jonathan Wade, senior, purchased his farm at Mistick for the use of his sons, Jonathan and Nathaniel, and they no doubt came to live in Medford soon after the purchase, for we find Mr. Jonathan Wade associated with Mr. Edward Collins and others in the laying out of a way from Cambridge to Woburn through Meadford, in the year 1663. The division line of the upland between Jonathan and Nathaniel was at or near Gravelly creek; the division line of the marsh was east of the Marsh islands, below Labor in Vain point. April 20, 1677, Mr. Russell's son and executor deeded the remaining one-fourth part of the land purchased by his father of Mr. Collins containing about 350 acres, which had thereon ‘one dwelling house and barn’ to Mr. Peter Tufts of Charlestown. Mr. Tufts was in possession of the estate prior to the date of his deed under an agreement for its purchase made with Mr. Russell senior, sometime before that gentleman's decease. It is upon this tract of land that the old brick house now stands. The one dwelling house named in this deed stood about ninety rods distant easterly from the brick house above mentioned. Mr. Tufts, by deed dated November 26, 1680, sold to his son, Peter Tufts, junior (commonly called Captain Peter), one-half part of the land he purchased of Mr. Russell, with housings; the one dwelling house and barn with twenty acres of land lying next to Mr. Blanchard's farm was not included in this sale. Captain Peter Tufts was one of the most
Buildings, meadows and upland at Mistick, £ 3560.00.00 27. 9. 1683 Thomas Wade, Administrator.
370 Acres of Upland £1000.00.00 80 Acres of Marsh 480.00.00 ———— 1480.00.00
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.