This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
[p. 63] located. For one hundred and fifty years subsequent to the year 1700 the growth of Medford was east of the above-named brook. The houses of John Whitmore, senior, and of John Whitmore, junior, adjoined, and stood on the north side of High street, near where Usher's block now stands. The house of Francis Whitmore stood where the brick house on Canal street now stands. It was taken down by the town of Medford, and the present brick house built while the premises were improved by the town as a Poor Farm. The house of Stephen Willis, senior, stood on the north side of High street, near Warren street. The house of Nathaniel Hall (son of John Hall, senior) stood where the house of the superintendent of Oak Grove Cemetery now stands on Woburn street. The house of John Hall, junior, stood near where the house formerly occupied by the late Albert Smith now stands on Woburn street. The house of Percival Hall (son of John Hall) stood near where the house of Mr. W. C. Craig stands on the easterly side of Woburn street. His barn stood across the street opposite the house. Stephen and Thomas Hall received the old house of their father, John Hall, senior, as a part of their share of his estate. Stephen received the easterly half and Thomas the westerly half. Stephen built himself a new house just east of the old house. In later years it was known as the Huffmaster House. Thomas' new house stood just west of Allston street. In 1684, Mr. Stephen Willis sold to Mr. John Bradshaw ten acres of land, including what is now known as Rock Hill. The old house on the corner of Hastings lane and High street was probably built by Mr. Bradshaw prior to the year 1700. It is a very old house. In 1685, Mr. John Whitmore sold to Mr. Bradshaw three-fourths of an acre of land, ‘the land being that upon which his dwelling house stands.’ This land was
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.