Andrew Hall, Esq. His widow's dower set off.1
NDREW Hall was the second son who lived to maturity of John Hall of Medford
and Jemima Syll of Cambridge
; he was born in Medford
, May 5, 1698.
When he was twenty-one, his father died, and he faced the world with little capital beside strong hands and active brain.
His father had occupied a high position in the town, but when Andrew
's name appears on the records it is dignified with no title, though soon he was called Mr. and later Esquire
The oldest son, John, was a distiller, succeeding his father.
In 1735, Andrew
bought out his brother and took possession of the distillery and wharves used in connection with the business.
In addition to distilling he established a carrying trade by boat from Medford
, made his own barrels and owned a slaughter house within a few rods of the ‘Great [Cradock] Bridge.’
In partnership with Benjamin Willis
he bought almost the whole of the Jonathan Wade
estate, including the ‘Garrison House,’ as we call the Wade
This land, which extended back from High street, following the line of Brooks Lane [Brooks Lane proper, Bradlee Road, Porter Road and Governor's Avenue] was bought in small shares from the husbands of Jonathan Wade
sold most of his share in various parcels to Andrew Hall or his heirs, until eventually nearly all the orginal purchase was owned by the Hall
The homestead mentioned in the following inventory is standing  and is numbered forty-three High street; the barn was on the opposite side of the road, occupying part of the lot now covered by Page and Curtin
The ‘large brick house’ was the Garrison House
The house ‘occupied by Richard Hall’ stands at the westerly corner of Governor