Opposite lived Major Gershom Teel
and afterward Captain Joseph Wyatt
This house, occupied quite recently by Mr. William J. Cheney
, is standing in 1905.
Just below the Usher house
lived Deacon Amos Warren
. Warren street was cut through the deacon's estate and named in his honor.
Later Mr. Reed
, father of Rebecca Reed
, whose story of ill treatment brought about the destruction of the nunnery at Charlestown
, lived in the Warren house
Just beyond Whitmore brook
, on the north side of the street, lived Captain Samuel Teel
This house is standing (1905) on the westerly corner of Brooks street. A few rods east—on the easterly corner of Allston street as now built—was a house occupied by Stephen Symmes
, who afterward moved to the west side of Mystic pond
The next occupant was Thomas Huffmaster
, who was killed during the tornado of 1850.
The site is now owned by the heirs of John H. Norton
, whose wife was a daughter of Mr. Huffmaster
About half a mile farther east, in the colonial mansion which still beautifies the street, resided Master Kendall, the teacher of the town school.
After him came Mr. Stickney
, Rev. Caleb Stetson
and Jonathan Brooks, who formerly lived in the ancient dwelling still standing at the corner of Woburn street. Both these houses are owned by the estate of Miss Lucy Ann Brooks
, daughter of Jonathan.
The mansion crowns the second slope of Ma'am Simonds hill, which in early days was called Bishop's hill, being dignified by a separate name in honor of the Bishop
family who were large land owners between Woburn and Allston streets.
Directly opposite the old Jonathan Brooks house dwelt Jeduthan Richardson
, in a very ancient house which seems destined soon to vanish before the march of modern improvement.
Edward L. Staniels
, who married Mr. Richardson
's daughter, succeeded him.
On the easterly corner of Woburn street was the house and farm of James Wyman