of a witch, a mark of great liberality for those times.
He served in some of the Indian
It is on record at the State House
that he received ten shillings for services so rendered.
He probably went with Captain Sill
, who took a company of militia from Cambridge
to the relief of Groton
, March 12, 1675, under Major Willard
He was married twice.
His first wife was Isabel Parke
They were probably married in England
His second wife was Margaret Harty
He died October 12, 1685.
, son of the preceding Francis
, was born October 10, 1654, and died February 22, 1737, in Medford
The first record I have found of him was in a deed of land sold to him March 29, 1675.
This land had already been built upon and houses and barns are mentioned.
This was part of the land once owned by Edward Collins.
He had it from the heirs of Governor Cradock
, who by instruments dated June 2 and September 16, 1652, ‘quit-claimed all the messuage farm or plantation called Meadford, by them owned.’
This is the Edward Collins
, called by Rev. Charles Brooks
the first land speculator in New England
Besides his frequent purchases and sales of land in Medford
and its neighborhood, we find him making investments in many towns some distance from here; as for instance, he sold land in Billerica
, in 1655, to the Richard
and Jane Champney
, who sold land to Francis Whitmore
, November 25, 1663.
As the latter also owned land in Billerica
, it is possible that it was through Mr. Collins
that the Whitmores first came to Medford
On December 24, 1680, John Whitmore
, Thomas Willis
, Stephen Willis
and Stephen Francis
, divided the balance of the Collins Farm
had already purchased one-fourth of this estate from Caleb Hubbard
The Whitmore house
was in that part of West Medford where Usher
's Block now stands, and the Whitmore brook
, which runs a few rods from it, received its name from this John Whitmore
This house was built in 1680, and torn down in 1840;