A plain boulder of New Hampshire
granite, suitably inscribed, marks the resting place of the New Hampshire
soldiers who fell in the Battle of Bunker Hill
, June 17, 1775, or died of wounds or disease after the battle.
The monument stands in the old Salem street burying ground, and was unveiled there with appropriate ceremonies, October 29, 1904.
It was selected by Hon. Alvin Burleigh
of Plymouth, New Hampshire
, and sent to the Sarah Bradlee Fulton Chapter
, Daughters of the American Revolution
of this city, under whose direction it was lettered, placed in position, and dedicated.
The stone is inscribed as follows:—
in memory of
New Hampshire soldiers
who fell at Bunker Hill.
buried in this town
and interred in this spot.
The boulder was the gift of the Sons of the American Revolution
of New Hamshir,, and came from Plymouth, N. H.
, near the celebrated Indian battle ground of Baker's River.
Short dedicatory exercises were held at the burial ground, and later the company adjourned to the Royall House
's headquarters in 1775, where Mayor Charles S. Baxter
greeted the assembly in the name of the city, and informal addresses were made by guests.
Miss Eliza M. Gill
, through whose efforts the site of the burial place was identified, read the historical address which is given below.