House, and to give therefore a note or notes on behalf of the Town
payable at any time not exceeding Twenty years.’
The Hook and Ladder Company petitioned at this time to be granted room for their ladder truck in the proposed building, and their petition was referred to the building committee, but later other accommodations were provided for the company.
May 4, 1835, the building committee and the selectmen were empowered to let the tenements in the town house for the term of from one to five years. Money for a stove for the selectmen's room was appropriated by the selectmen, October 27, 1835.
November 9, 1835, the report of the building committee was received and laid on the table, but the portion of the report in regard to leasing the stores under the Town Hall
to Messrs. Coburn
, and to Mr. Samuel S. Green, Jr.
, was accepted and confirmed.
There was a disagreement and some litigation before the terms of these leases were decided, and Coburn
& Company did not receive their lease until December, 1835.
Taking even this last date as the time of its completion, the building has served the town and city for over seventy years. It was built to accommodate the town meeting, one official and two boards; it now shelters, not accommodates, six officials, including the mayor, and three boards, while the other departments of our city life are relegated to an ‘annex.’
It has served its purpose to the best of its ability.
It is not the fault of the good old building that it is now inadequate.