the celebrated and able jurist.
returned to Newbury
in 1779, and was a member of Congress from his native district during the Presidency of Washington
While holding the position of judge of the Massachusetts
Supreme Court, he died September 6, 1803.
I have given the children of this family in detail because we have come to the point where we shall find one of them, Wymond, settling at what is at present within the boundaries of Medford
That point of land known to us as Wellington
in the southeastern part of Medford
, lying between the Mystic
and Malden rivers
was a portion of a grant of two hundred acres of land given by the General Court, April 1, 1634, to Rev. John Wilson
, first pastor of the church in Boston
, which he sold to Thomas Blanchard
, February 12, 1650, for two hundred pounds. At the death of Thomas Blanchard
the farm was divided between two of his sons, and the house built by George Blanchard
in 1657 is still standing, at present owned by Mrs. Evelyn
L., wife of Arthur W. Wellington
A second house was built, but in 1795 only the original one remained.
After various changes the Blanchard heirs sold their interests to Jabez Bradbury
of Saint Georges River, County of York, in the Province of Massachusetts Bay
, in New England, in 1756.
Samuel Blanchard, Jr.
, of Malden
, conveyed to him for two hundred pounds, twenty-one sacres of land more or less in Malden
, with dwelling house, also one and one-half acres, fifteen rods, and twenty-two and one-half acres of pasture land.
conveyed to Jabez Bradbury
at the same time twenty-five acres more or less with half the dwelling-house and half the barn and twenty acres, more or less, for two hundred pounds.
In 1757, the year following, Hugh Floyd
also sold to Jabez Bradbury
for two hundred and ninety-five pounds forty-eight acres in Malden
, part upland and part salt marsh, and forty-six acres of woodland and