[p. 59] Malden
138 dwelling-houses, and there are those living in Medford
who can tell of the few houses once seen between the Bishop house
, and how green fields stretched away where now the homes of Park street and Glenwood
dot the landscape.
His farm consisted of English mowing, tillage, salt marsh and woodland, of which latter there was a great deal, and under his cultivation the farm was noted for its great asparagus beds.
He was a great distance from the meeting-house and school of the town to which he belonged and separated from them by the river and marshes.
So we find him an attendant at the First Parish in Medford
, a parishioner of Dr. Osgood
, and he owned a pew in the old third meeting-house where later his grandchildren were baptized, with water probably from the silver baptismal basin, the gift of Mr. John Willis
Though he found his church life and a social life among the townspeople here, yet not all his leanings were toward Medford
, for his civil relations existed with Malden
, and he performed his duties there as a patriotic citizen, serving upon the Committee of Correspondence, or as it was finally called, Correspondence, Inspection, and Safety, 1782-1784.
Serving with him for the whole or a portion of this period were Captain William Waite
, Captain Jonathan Oakes
and James Kettell
The house stands upon a knoll, faces south, and is a remarkably well preserved farmhouse.
Outwardly, and as regards its frame, it is unchanged, but a small piazza has been added to the back, and a porch at the front entrance.
It is today a charming home, combining the modern comforts and conveniences with old-time features and quaintness.
The plumbing for kitchen and bathroom, the steam-heating pipes, the large windowpanes seem an innovation, but the large square rooms and the very small ones, low ceiled, the great beams, the long, sloping roof, the huge central chimney with its place for hanging the hams, the little cupboard where