$700, a parcel of land and the southerly part of a dwelling, with all other buildings thereon, bounded east by the county road, west by land belonging to heirs of Isaac Royall
This is the south part of the three-story dwelling house on Main street, now numbered one hundred and five.
In 1803 he bought a parcel of land of Ebenezer Hall, 2d., of Medford
for one hundred and fifty dollars. This was west of his dwelling place, and was bounded on the north by land of Andrew Blanchard
, west by that of Nathaniel Hall, Esq.
, south by land of Ebenezer Hall, 2d., and on the east by land of Luther Stearns and his own land.
The deed of another parcel was recorded the same date as that of the one just described.
This was purchased also of Ebenezer Hall, 2d., and was bounded west by land of Captain Andrew Hall
; north by the road leading toward the county road; east by land of Ebenezer Hall, 2d., which was laid out a road as far as the Middlesex Canal
, and south by land of Ebenezer Hall, 2d.
In the county road we recognize our Main street; in the one that leads toward the county road, South street, and the one that ran to the Middlesex Canal
is the Walnut
street of today.
It was not till 1829 that Main and South
streets were so designated by an act of the town.
Bradbury lane was the former name of Walnut street.
On this last mentioned piece of land, William Bradbury
built the house now standing at the corner of South
and Walnut streets, sometime before 1806, for in that year he was first taxed for a whole dwelling house.
The half-house he owned for many years.
In 1821 it was occupied by Mr. G. Brooks
; in 1822, by Mr. David Leach
The making of rum and packing of beef carried on in Medford
necessitated the production of barrels and casks, and afforded ample scope for the business William Bradbury
engaged in. He made many barrels for Ebenezer Hall, whose tannery occupied the site of the Armory
; for Tanner Hall, as he was called, slaughtered cattle, packed the beef, tanned the skins, and did a very large