family home, in the house standing at the corner of South
and Walnut streets.
Rev. Charles Brooks
, in his History of Medford
says, ‘The private boarding school for young ladies, taught for twenty-four years with signal success by Miss Eliza Bradbury
, was deservedly ranked among the most useful seminaries within the neighborhood of Boston
Devoting herself to the most substantial and important branches of education, she produced the most durable and happy results.
Her pupils were mostly from other towns, and several of them from the most elevated families.’
was born August 14, 1796, and was baptized June 17, 1798.
She began teaching at the age of twenty-one or twenty-two.
She had both boarders and day pupils at the same time, often from twenty to thirty, and later she received only day scholars.
The ages of the pupils varied from six to fifteen; a few young ladies were among the number, and two or three very young boys were privileged attendants.
One lady, who was a pupil at the age of six, writes: ‘It was considered a good school for that time.
It was a boarding school as well as day school, and was well patronized.
The mother kept the house on South
street, and the daughters, Miss Mary and Miss Eliza, took charge of the school.’
I know of no one else who recalls Mary as a teacher, but Charlotte assisted in teaching during the existence of the school.
On the selectmen's records it is found once mentioned as Miss
E. & M. Bradbury
's school but generally Miss E. Bradbury
's. She had an account with the town for several pupils educated at the town's expense.
The rate of tuition was twenty cents per week.
It was called South Street Seminary.
The alphabet was taught, and the following branches: reading, writing, spelling, arithmetic, botany, history, chemistry, philosophy, drawing, painting.
Much time was given to instruction in fine needle-work and the various kinds of fancy work in vogue at that time.
The designs for embroidery were all drawn by Miss Bradbury