April 21, 1835—March 4, 1907.
With the passing away of Calvin H. Clark a vacancy exists that is widely felt, owing to his many and varied relations to this community. In Wells, Me., his native place, he remained sixteen years, then came to West Cambridge, now Arlington, where he lived twelve years, and for the last forty-three years had been a resident of Medford. In early life he was a house carpenter, then a ship carpenter, and then a carpenter in a large manufacturing establishment, from which he was called by the first Mayor of Medford, General Lawrence, to the offices of inspector of buildings and overseer of the poor. In the latter position, where he had to stand between the worthy poor, the unworthy poor and the city treasury, dispensing justly, his conscientiousness and painstaking care will be more appreciated as time goes on. Deacon Clark took high rank in the several Masonic [p. 70] bodies with which he was connected for about forty years. He was also president of the Massachusetts Relief Officers Association, agent of Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Children, member of Medford Historical Society, etc. In all these different interests his constant desire was to be loyal and helpful. His wish to die in the harness was accorded him. On Sunday he was in his customary seat at the First Baptist Church, where he had been a consistent member and deacon and moderator for a long term of years. In the afternoon of the same day he attended the funeral of Medford's old schoolmaster, Charles Cummings, and the next morning expired at his desk in his office of heart failure. The very large attendance at the obsequies in the church, the sympathetic strains from organ and quartette, the eulogy of Rev. Maurice A. Levy, the impressive Masonic service, the solemn procession, and measured tones of the funeral bell, all bore witness to the true worth of this good man. A brother and sister survive him, and in his immediate family a widow, son and daughter.—
E. B. C.