A member of this society, was a native of the old town of Medford. She was the oldest daughter of Capt. James W. and Rebecca (Wade) Brooks, who resided on the spot now occupied by the Odd Fellows Building, and was there born, October 24, 1822. The days of her childhood and youth were spent in the very heart of our old town, and her education was obtained in our public schools, she being a graduate of our high school in one of the earliest years of its history. She removed to the then adjoining town of Woburn, in 1847. In one of the later years of the 50's she became engaged to a man of wealth and prominence in that town, who died soon after, leaving to her a substantial legacy as also to Tufts College. In 1873 (Feb. 17) she united in marriage with Col. Henry B. Hayes, being his fifth wife. A European trip followed the wedding, and after their return a tasteful dwelling was erected under the colonel's supervision, and there for twenty years they who had united their fortunes in the meridian of life, found the comforts and pleasures of home. In 1893, Col. Hayes departed this life, and the subject of this memorial continued her residence in the same home and city. Mrs. Hayes is described as being of a stately and dignified demeanor—a lady of the old school—peculiarly so, of extensive reading, in which she took delight, and of a retentive memory. As the days of her infancy occurred in the transition period of town and parish in Medford, her youthful years were identical with the early years of several lines of church activity, and she was brought up in the atmosphere of the First Parish Church, becoming a devoted Unitarian, to which faith she continued loyal during her long life. Obeying the apostolic injunction, ‘give attention to reading,’ she found solace and comfort not only in the [p. 77] secular literature of the day but in the religous publications and especially in her church paper, the Christian Register. After thirteen years of widowhood and after but a brief illness, she entered into the future life on September 2, 1906. While loyal to the faith in which she was reared, she was courteous to and tolerant of the differing opinions of others, and it was fitting that ere her mortal remains were borne to the silent city (Oak Grove) in her native town, words of appreciative memorial should be spoken by the clergyman of the Methodist Episcopal church who found a home beneath her roof and who assisted her own pastor in the burial service.—
M. W. M.