March 14, 1837—July 25, 1906.
In the death of Mrs. Frances Whitmore Jones
Historical Society loses a valuable member, and the First M. E. Church one of its most competent leaders.
She was the daughter of Amos Whitmore, Jr.
, a highly esteemed resident of the North End of Boston
Born in that city and spending her girlhood days there, she graduated with high honors from the grammar, high, and girls' normal schools, being one of the medal pupils of the Hancock school
For two years she taught with marked success in the schools of her native city, and to the time of her death maintained a lively interest in the Hancock School
Association, of which for two years she was the efficient president.
September 29, 1859, she was united in marriage to [p. 32] Charles N. Jones
, who is the secretary of the Medford
After a brief residence in Chelsea
they came to Almont street, Medford
, and later moved to 352 Salem street, where she died July 25. Two children were born to them.
, who died in infancy, and Amy Whitmore
, principal of the Curtis School
was possessed of a strong personality, of executive and literary ability to a marked degree—her interesting letters being prized by those so fortunate as to receive them.
She was appointed by the First M. E. Church to write its history, a portion of which is enclosed in the corner stone of the new building.
For keenness of intellect, sympathetic help, and conscientious performance of duty, excellent judgment and wise council, she will be sadly missed in her home and church, to both of which she was so devoted.
The Rev. E. C. Bridgham
paid a very fitting tribute to her worth in saying, ‘She was a womanly woman, whose virtues were many and favorably known throughout the city.’—A. E. D.