The stock of the company consisted of one hundred and fifty shares, the par value of each of which was £ 100, a total of £ 150,000. The first pier of the bridge was laid on the 14 June, 1785, and the last on 31 May, 1786, and the bridge was opened to the public 17 June, 1786.
The bridge, as finished, was forty-two feet wide, upon seventy-five piers, each composed of seven oaken timbers, and four solid wharves and buttresses were laid with stone in different parts of the structure to sustain the wooden piers.
It had on each side a passageway of six feet, railed in for safety, and was lighted at night by forty lamps, in lanterns mounted upon posts.
The opening of the bridge took place on that great Charlestown
holiday, the anniversary of the Battle of Bunker Hill
, 17 June, and was attended with great enthusiasm and the usual parade and festivities.
At dawn of day thirteen guns, the number of the confederated states, were fired from Copps Hill
, and Bunker Hill
, as a federal salute.
The bells in both towns were rung and the musical chimes of Christ Church in Salem street were pealed.
A large procession of the proprietors, state officials, town officers and notables was formed at the Old State House
, then the capitol
When the time came for moving, another federal salute was given from the Castle
, and one from Copps Hill
, as the cortege arrived at the draw of the bridge.
Here the draw was fixed for their passage by Lemuel Cox
, and the procession passed over it under a salute.
On arriving at Charlestown
it passed through the square and took its course to the battle ground of eleven years previous, and there received another salute of thirteen guns.
On the historic field, untouched by improvements, a dinner was served to about eight hundred persons, seated at two tables of three hundred feet each, united by a semicircle, and festivities were continued till six o'clock in the evening.
The number of persons viewing the celebration is supposed to have equalled the total