the Irish structure after Cox
had finished his labors at home, and it was not until 29 April, 1789, that we hear further as to the Irish enterprise.
It was then reported that the proposed timber bridge was estimated to cost £ 10,000. A memorial was then presented by the Corporation of Londonderry
to the Irish Society
, to obtain a lease of the tolls in perpetuity.
On 15 July the Society granted the request.
11 December, 1789, the Society agreed to grant to the corporation a lease of the tolls in perpetuity, to enable the corporation to build a bridge and borrow money on the security of the tolls.
The bridge, commenced in 1789, was completed by the spring of 1792.
It was 1,068 feet in length and forty in breadth.
The piles of American oak had the head of each tenoned into a cap piece forty feet long and seventeen inches square, supported by three sets of girths and braces.
The piers were sixteen and one-half feet apart and bound together by thirteen string-pieces, equally divided and transversely bolted, on which were laid the flooring.
On each side the platform was a railing four and one-half feet high, also a broad pathway provided with gas lamps.
Originally there was a drawbridge, but it was replaced by a turning bridge.
The original expense of its erection was £ 16,594. The work was a success, though an eminent English engineer, Milns, had pronounced it impracticable.
On 6 February, 1814, a portion of the bridge three hundred and fifty feet in length was carried away by large masses of ice floating down the river, with a strong ebb tide, and high wind.
The expense of the repairs of this damage was £ 18,208, of which the government advanced a loan of £ 15,000. The absence of Cox
and his skilled workmen explain the increased cost of the labor.
Seventy years ago the annual amount of tolls of the bridge was £ 3,700.
In 1782 Lemuel Cox
mortgaged his house in Batterymarch street to William Lowder
, and this mortgage was discharged 22 October, 1790, probably by his first payment received in Ireland