Ye olde Meting-House of Meadford.
[Continued from Vol.
II, No. 2.]
HE seats in the pews were hinged, and turned up on edge as the people stood during the long prayer.
This concluded, they were turned down again, and the result was like a fusillade of musketry all over the house.
's pastorate was all too short, as he died after serving the church and town nine years, and was succeeded by the Rev. Ebenezer Turell
He, like his predecessor, took unto himself a wife soon after coming to Medford
Still more room was needed for the accommodation of the people, and after much discussion the town built a new and much larger meeting-house just beyond the brook, and on August 21, 1727, worshipped in the subject of our sketch for the last time.
The selectmen were directed to sell it, for the best advantage for the town.
I find no report of their doings in the matter on the record; but upon the treasurer's book under date of January 4, 1729, is this item, ‘To Cash Recd of Benj. Willis
for ye Old Meeting-house
Omitted getting down before.
’ The receipts are entered on the right hand pages of the book, and the page being one of the earliest used, the right, or outer edge, is so frayed and worn that the amount paid by Mr. Willis
An interesting matter in this connection is the date January 4, 729.
As the town directed the selectmen on September 29, 1729, to sell it and Mr. Willis
paid for it on January 4, it was in the eleventh
month of the year, which then began with the first of March, instead of January.
Another incident is that the entry is not in regular order, but is explained by the written note, ‘Omitted setting down before.’
Such are the facts gleaned from the ancient records of the town, their time-worn and discolored pages now carefully preserved between silk tissue.
In a careful reading of them, often requiring patient