taught school in the long winter vacations to earn money for his expenses, and after graduating from college he taught two and a half years as principal of high schools, first at South Abington
, now Whitman
, and then at Stoneham, Mass.
He was a clerk in the quartermaster's department at Nashville, Tennessee
, in 1864 and 1865.
On returning to Boston
, he entered the educational department of Taggard
, publishers and stationers.
On the retirement of Mr. Taggard
, in 1869, he became a member of the firm, and continued the business, the firm name soon becoming Thompson
& Co. Among the most noted books which bore their imprint, were ‘Cushing
's Manual of Parliamentary Practice,’ ‘Eaton
's Mathematical Series,’ and ‘Meservey
At his death, he was one of the oldest publishers in the country, and his firm, through all the vicissitudes of business and of keen competition, bore a reputation for honorable dealings.
In 1869 Mr. Brown
married Abby Dudley Tucker
, daughter of General Henry
and Nancy (Dudley
, of Raymond, New Hampshire
, a lineal descendant of Gov. Thomas Dudley
, of the Massachusetts Bay
He is survived by his wife and three sons, Henry Tucker Brown
, of New York City, Howard Dudley Brown
, of Arlington, Massachusetts
, and Edward Bangs Brown
, of Cleveland, Ohio
, and two grandchildren, Elizabeth
, daughter of his son Howard
, and Barbara, daughter of his son Edward.
In 1871 Mr. Brown
came to Medford
to live in the house on Allston street, which was ever after his home.
West Medford was then a little village, with no church and only some twenty-five houses on the west of the railroad.
Many changes took place in the thirty-seven years of his residence here, and he took a prominent and active part in all that promoted the welfare of the community.
He never held public office, nor was a candidate for office, but he was a public spirited citizen,