anxious to see progress in all local affairs, and not afraid to give his opinion, even when it opposed the wishes of others.
In 1872 a movement was started to organize a Congregational Church in West Medford, and in this Mr. Brown
took a foremost part, being a charter member, serving as the first clerk of the church, the first treasurer of the society, as a member of the subscription committee for the first church building, and as superintendent of the Sunday-school in 1875 and 1876.
In 1897, at the celebration of the twenty-fifth anniversary of the church, Mr. Brown
gave the historical address.
When the present edifice at the corner of High and Allston streets was built, Mr. Brown
was chairman of the committee on plans, and took part in the ceremonies at the laying of the corner stone.
He was one of the trustees of the Barnes fund from the time it came into the possession of the parish until his death.
He was one of the organizers and the first president of the West Medford Village Improvement Society
, through whose efforts many improvements in that part of the town were secured.
He took the leading part in the organization of the West Medford Reading Club
, which celebrated its thirtieth anniversary last December, on which occasion Mr. Brown
read an historical sketch of the club.
He was the secretary and treasurer at the time of his death, having filled the office for four years.
He was a life member of the New England Historic-Genealogical Society, a member of the committee on papers and addresses from 1900 to 1907, and he wrote the notices for the Historical and Genealogical Register of at least fifteen of its members.
In genealogical matters he had more than a local reputation, being considered an authority on genealogical research.
His account of the first three generations of Simon
and Joan Stone
, from whom he was descended, has been commended as a model genealogical sketch.
For the Old Home Week
celebration of his native