than to select one of the various creeds presented upon the authority of the preachers.
He bought a Bible, divided its pages into fifty-two equal parts and faithfully read one section a week, until he had read it from cover to cover.
The creed which he adopted is embodied in the church manual of the first Trinitarian church, established in Medford
in 1823, and again in that of the Mystic church
in 1847, and was just as firmly his when he died in 1879.
When Mr. James
settled in Medford
permanently, he connected himself actively with the parish church.
After the death of Dr. Osgood
, the majority of the church called Rev. Andrew Bigelow
, a Unitarian, to be the pastor.
led the minority who wished an evangelical minister.
Mindful of that disgraceful day in the Dorchester meeting-house, Mr. James
favored no public demonstration of disagreement, but in friendly words, letters were sent back and forth between the opposing parties which resulted in four men and thirteen women asking for dismission to form a new church.
The letter making the request was probably written by Mr. James
It closed as follows:—
Hard feeling and sharp words were no doubt the result of this separation, for a time, but the course pursued was certainly the best; for there were no lasting breaks in friendship and the two churches were soon working in harmony in charitable and reformatory channels, whereas opposing factions, trying to live under one church government, would have brought forth countless collisions.