On December 19, 1845, the church, erected by William B. Stone
, was dedicated to the service of God.
In the records of the society there is preserved a program of the dedicatory services of the ‘Pickering
’ Methodist Episcopal Church in Medford
This name clung to the church for many years; in fact, until the third edifice was built, in 1872, there were many who still spoke of the Methodist Church as the ‘Pickering
preached the dedication sermon, and prayer was offered by Rev. E. T. Taylor
, the ‘Father’ Taylor of the Seamen
's Bethel in Boston
Upon the program mentioned above also appear two hymns, one of six stanzas and one of four, which were written especially for the occasion, although the name of the author is unknown.
The church was built in accordance with the rules of church architecture existing at that time—the pews were square and had doors which ‘buttoned’ the occupants in. The choir was at the rear of the audience and facing the pulpit, and the singers were led by the ‘big fiddle and the little fiddle,’ or the bass viol and violin.
When the hymns were given out the congregation rose and faced the choir during the singing.
At the time of its erection the entrance doors were near its corners, and a broad platform with steps descending toward Salem street extended entirely across its front.
These were, in 1854, removed, as also the slightly elevated alcove within, between the ‘entries,’ that contained the ‘singing seats.’
More seating capacity was thus gained, and an enlargement was made in front for a vestibule, with a gallery above for the choir and the excellent organ then procured.
Externally the building then presented the appearance shown in Brooks
'‘History of Medford
,’ and a few other changes were made within, notably the removal of the pew doors.
In the year 1847 a society known as the Ladies
' Parsonage Furnishing and Stewards' Relief Society was formed.
This was the beginning of the organization